Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Grammar

So I was in rural Nova Scotia over the weekend. For any who don't know, it is like night and day with the English language. Anyway, on our trip, we (the family) came across a yard sale. Never ones to pass up a deal, we pull over and check it out.

I was in the car, and was waiting for Sylvia to return. When she came back, she said the following to me:

"The batteries into it work?"

I said "Excuse me?!"

"The batteries into it work?"

Now, I had no idea what the hell she was talking about. Apparently, at said yard sale, someone was asking the above to the person who was selling a cordless phone. What the person was actually asking was "Do the batteries in it work?" which still isn't really a correct sentence.

Now, I know that I am not prize winner when it comes to English; it was never my strong suit. I do say intelligently accepted terms like "There's nine birds in the back yard" and not the proper english "There are nine birds in the back yard." Granted, I only will say "There's" I would never write it down, nor would I ever say "There is nine..." because that just sounds odd.

In the words of the great Ralph Wiggum "Me fail English? That's Unpossible!"

-d

2 comments:

  1. Haha unpossible .. I used that all the time! Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a related note, I saw on a South Shore facebook profile recently, that "cottaging" was one of their hobbies... ah, how enjoyable! :)

    ReplyDelete