Saturday, May 29, 2010

Old Man Back

This is a special installment of Rants, and I am angry, angry at genetic make-up. You see, I have bad back genetic make-up. I feel like I have a back like a 90 year old man, assuming that 90 year old men are sore in the backs all the time. In all honesty though, I am not sure that I can blame genetics more than stupidity of a 15 year old young male.

The year was 1994, and I was taking the bus back from ye olde comic emporium. I believe the name of the old stomping ground was Another World Comics and Sports Cards, which sadly is non existent now. If I recall, that was the year that DC was putting out the Zero Hour cross over. I am sure I had one of those, as well as a Superman and Batman comic. Some things just don't change. Anyway, I was getting off the bus, across from a Taco Bell with a friend, Steve, and thought it would be a good idea to try to beat the light and try to cross the busy street on a red. All was fine, but we forgot about the stupid advance green, and I got smucked by a mini van.

I know, the usual question pops into a person's mind, such as "Did you not look before you crossed the street?" or "Could the driver not stop?" The answers are: I looked and no, she could not stop. I was weaving in the traffic to cross the street, and she was racing to make the light. It was just bad luck for both of us (me a little more).

When she hit me, she obviously stopped the van immediately, but in doing so, parked on my ankle, which was snapped. I have to throw out here that I was wearing a pair of Dr. Martens, which likely, with their thick soles, saved my food from being crushed. I have always owned a pair or two since then.

Anyway, after the hit, my left knee and back have never really been correct, and that is likely the source of all my ills.

So let this be a lesson, don't cross the road unless at a side walk and always wear your Docs out.

-d

1 comment:

  1. Holy... I'm not sure that I ever knew that story! That's crazy! :(

    ReplyDelete